He was born in Al Shandagah, Dubai, in 1349H. -1930 A.D., in his youth, he accompanied his father on diving cruises that used to take place during summer. These trips have taught him patience and endurance.
He learned reading and writing, in addition to the Holy Quran and Arabic Language, in local schools at that time, (known as Ktateeb) ran by local teachers (known as Mutawa). Since those times he has realized the value and the importance of the book, when books were hardly obtained during that time.
Juma Al Majid started his professional life with his uncle in trade, afterwards he became a trader.
At the beginning of the fifties, he participated with his colleagues : Mr. Humaid Al Tayer, Abdullah Al Ghurair, Nasir Rashed Loutah, and with consent of Sheikh Rashed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum in the establishment of the first charitable society to help the needy of Dubai, so they established two secondary schools, one for boys in Bar Dubai, called Jamal Abdul Nasser Secondary School, the second for girls in Deira, called Amna Secondary Schools.
In 1983,and due to economic and social circumstances, it was difficult for expatriate students to be admitted to the public schools, Mr. Al Majid established the “ National Charity Schools” to help the needy expatriate students obtaining free education. The number of students attending classes now exceeds 9000 students, poor students continue enjoying free education, while others are requested to pay cost only.
Deeply understanding the women’s need for knowledge and the difficulties they faced in reaching Al Ain University or traveling abroad, Mr. Al Majid established the “Islamic and Arabic Studies College” in 1987 in Dubai. This college which accepts students from The GCC states, is accredited by Al – Azhar University, Dar Al Uloom College and the UAE Ministry of Higher Education. About 3700 students, 2500 females, and 1200 males are now attending the college. till now 4119 students, 3302 females, and 817 males have graduated from the college. There is also post-graduate department for Islamic science and Arabic language, The graduates granted M.A and Ph. D degrees in jurisprudence and Arabic language, the registered students reached 132 females, 23 of them got master degree.
In 1990, Mr. Al Majid, along with other local philanthropists, established “Beit Al Khair Society” a charitable organization aims to aid the poor citizens, needy students, as well as offering cash or commodities to the victims of disasters, moreover, Mr. Al Majid has helped to establish many schools in Arab and Islamic countries, and funded education especially for Palestinians , hence, he gave them priority even in his trade, to enable them providing money for their families.
In 1991, Mr. Al Majid realized the needs of scholars and researchers, especially those who are unable to obtain the necessary books, references and manuscripts, so he established a public library, afterwards it was developed to become a cultural organization ,known as, Juma Al Majid Center for Culture and Heritage.
Mr. Juma Al Majid, accompanied by specialists from the center has visited many countries to collect Arab and Islamic manuscripts (originals and copies), and he found that it was very necessary to develop a restoration machine, known as “ Al Majid Restoration Machine” to restore damaged original manuscripts and protect them from corrosion. The machines have been distributed as a gift to more than 14 countries.
In appreciation of his efforts, Mr. Juma Al Majid has been awarded several local and international awards:
- Sultan AI Owais Award, for "Cultural Personality of the year" 1992.
- Dubai Quality Award, 1994.
- Honorary membership certificate of the Moroccan Association of historians, June 23, 1994.
- Contributors in literacy and adult education Award from Ministry of Education of UAE, 1995.
- Appreciation Award from Her Highness, Sheikha Fatima, W/o His Highness, Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan AI Nahyan, the President of UAE, 1998.
- Excellence Award from His Excellency, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid AI Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, 1998.
- Award from Ministry of Justice and Awkaf, Kuwait,11 February 1998.
- Honorary certificate from the Scientific Council of the University of St. Petersburg for his efforts to preserve the Islamic heritage,1999.
- King Faisal International Award for service of Islam, Saudi Arabia, 1999.
- Award from Ministry of Awkaf & Islamic Affairs, Egypt. President Hosni Mubarak honored him by giving the award of International Personality of the year 2000 for his services toward culture & education.
- Appreciation Certificate from the Islamic Center in Aachen - Germany ,2000.
- Appreciation Certificates from the Charity organizations in Palestine, in recognition of his efforts and supporting the Palestinian people
- Honoring from Arab Cultural Foundation in Beirut, for his efforts in protecting the Arab and Islamic heritage,18 September 2001.
- Sharjah Voluntary Work Award from H.H Shiekh Sultan Bin Mohammad AI Qasimi, Ruler of Sharjah, 2003.
- Merit of Jerusalem honored to him by Mr. Mahmmoud Abbas, President of The Palestinian Authority 2005.
- Award of the National Council for Culture & Art and Letters in Kuwait, 2005.
- Award of Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Foundation, Winner of Cultural & Scientific Achievements, Tenth Session 2006 – 2007, 13 Mars 2008.
- Honored by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Kuwait for his contribution in promoting the commercial relations between Kuwait and UAE November 2009.
- Honored by the Ministry of Culture in Syria for his efforts to enhance the cultural relations between Syria and UAE March 2010.
- Honored by The Arab American Institute "Gibran Khalil Gibran" Award for the International Commitment. April 2010.
- Honored by the "Swiss Ambassador Award 2011" in Abu Dhabi, due to his contribution in enhancing the relations between Switzerland and UAE.
- Recognition Award honoured by H.H. Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed AI Nhayan, President of UAE,2December 2011
- Honorary doctorate by Lawrence Technological University in Detroit, USA May 12, 2012
- Awarded by H.H. Shaikah Shamsa Bin Shail, wife of H.H. Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed AI Nhayan, President of UAE, being one of the pioneer volunteers. November 2012.
- Honoured by the College of Literature in Kuwait University in November 2012.
- Honored by the President of Turkmenistan (Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov), and Grant (Medal of Turkmenistan Makhdoom Guly), for his contribution in spreading the Turkmen heritage and culture, inside and outside Turkmenistan May 15, 2014.
- Award from WATANI ALEMARAT Foundation, (imprint thought) category, second session, July 15, 2014.
- Awarded by the Arab Federation for Libraries and information as the Personality of the Year (2014) for his support to libraries and cultural activities in The United Arab Emirates and several places around the world. October 28,2014.
- Awarded the “Organizational Learning Personality of the Year 2014" in recognition of his contributions and efforts in supporting the spheres of education and learning in the country. November 30, 2014.
- Award from 8th Annual Khalifa Award for Education 2014-2015, by giving him award of Educational Personality of the Year, April 14, 2015.
- Award of UAE Pioneers in its second year, November 15,2015.
- GCC Prize for Excellence, Philanthropy field, December 7, 2015.
- Emirates Social Award, individual first class category, December 23, 2015.