He was born in Al Shandagah, Dubai, in 1349H. -1930 A.D., in his youth, he accompanied his father on diving cruises that used to take place during summer. These trips have taught him patience and endurance.
He learned reading and writing, in addition to the Holy Quran and Arabic Language, in local schools at that time, (known as Ktateeb) ran by local teachers (known as Mutawa). Since those times he has realized the value and the importance of the book, when books were hardly obtained during that time.
Juma Al Majid started his professional life with his uncle in trade, afterwards he became a trader.
At the beginning of the fifties, he participated with his colleagues : Mr. Humaid Al Tayer, Abdullah Al Ghurair, Nasir Rashed Loutah, and with consent of Sheikh Rashed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum in the establishment of the first charitable society to help the needy of Dubai, so they established two secondary schools, one for boys in Bar Dubai, called Jamal Abdul Nasser Secondary School, the second for girls in Deira, called Amna Secondary Schools.
In 1983,and due to economic and social circumstances, it was difficult for expatriate students to be admitted to the public schools, Mr. Al Majid established the “ National Charity Schools” to help the needy expatriate students obtaining free education. The number of students attending classes now exceeds 9000 students, poor students continue enjoying free education, while others are requested to pay cost only.
Deeply understanding the women’s need for knowledge and the difficulties they faced in reaching Al Ain University or traveling abroad, Mr. Al Majid established the “Islamic and Arabic Studies College” in 1987 in Dubai. This college which accepts students from The GCC states, is accredited by Al – Azhar University, Dar Al Uloom College and the UAE Ministry of Higher Education. About 3700 students, 2500 females, and 1200 males are now attending the college. till now 4119 students, 3302 females, and 817 males have graduated from the college. There is also post-graduate department for Islamic science and Arabic language, The graduates granted M.A and Ph. D degrees in jurisprudence and Arabic language, the registered students reached 132 females, 23 of them got master degree.
In 1990, Mr. Al Majid, along with other local philanthropists, established “Beit Al Khair Society” a charitable organization aims to aid the poor citizens, needy students, as well as offering cash or commodities to the victims of disasters, moreover, Mr. Al Majid has helped to establish many schools in Arab and Islamic countries, and funded education especially for Palestinians , hence, he gave them priority even in his trade, to enable them providing money for their families.
In 1991, Mr. Al Majid realized the needs of scholars and researchers, especially those who are unable to obtain the necessary books, references and manuscripts, so he established a public library, afterwards it was developed to become a cultural organization ,known as, Juma Al Majid Center for Culture and Heritage.
Mr. Juma Al Majid, accompanied by specialists from the center has visited many countries to collect Arab and Islamic manuscripts (originals and copies), and he found that it was very necessary to develop a restoration machine, known as “ Al Majid Restoration Machine” to restore damaged original manuscripts and protect them from corrosion. The machines have been distributed as a gift to more than 14 countries.
In appreciation of his efforts, Mr. Juma Al Majid has been awarded several local and international awards: